[lit-ideas] Re: Iran ready for sanctions

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 06:51:34 -0800

Who gives a damn about doing something about Iran?  I guess most people do.
Having it be contingent to answering your question? That doesn't make sense.
Beyond that I don't understand your question.  The first Gulf War,
Afghanistan, and the Second Gulf War were all successes.  As to wars working
out exactly as planned, probably no war does that.  You plan and then enter
the fog of war and make adjustments.  The object is to win the war not have
it work precisely as planned.

Since most people in America and in the West seem to share my opinion that
we must do something about Iran, that a nuclear Iran is something to be
prevented, then the remaining question is, how do we accomplish that.  The
EU has been attempting negotiations.  That approach seems to have failed.
Sanctions are an option, but I don't believe that will succeed in preventing
Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons.  A full scale invasion seems
unnecessary which leaves the surgical strike approach, which worked when
Israel used it against Iraq.

Lawrence