[lit-ideas] Re: Iran outraged by Hollywood war epic

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:21:47 +0000 (GMT)

Lawrence

> Steyn said you can't fly the English flag in British
> prisons and it turns out that you can't fly English
> flags on badges in British prisons.  Ah ha!  Steyn
> is a liar.

*You*, Lawrence, wrote

LH>You'd be surprised how quickly the question of what
LH>flag should fly over government buildings can be an
LH>issue.

citing the following

1. LH>Anne Owens banned the flying of the English
national LH>flag in English prisons

and

2. LH>The Drivers and Vehicles Licensing Agency has
also banned the English flag from its offices.

and

3. LH> So has Heathrow Airport

2. and 3. have been shown to be untrue.  The first has
been shown to relate to Anne Owens' reprimanding
officers at one prison who wore pins carrying the
emblem of the flag.

*Therefore*, Lawrence, your

LH>You'd be surprised how quickly the question of what
LH>flag should fly over government buildings can be an
LH>issue.

was followed by three alleged examples two of which
were totally untrue, and none of which related in any
way to what flag should fly over public buildings.

Simon doesn't worry that the Chief
> Inspector of Prisons doesn't want the flag, whether
> on badges or on poles, to be seen in British prisons

(The *English* flag, not the Union Flag that flies
over public buildings) we don't know, Lawrence,
whether it can be seen in English prisons.  We can I
think know that the CI doesn't want prison officers on
duty, in uniform, to wear or display the flag given
its associations with the BNP, well, *good for her*.

 And Judy doesn't think this is real censorship
> because Muslim soccer fans can paint their faces
> with the English flag.

I don't think it's censorship.

Well Chris Doyle, the
> director of the Council for the Advancement of
> Arab-British Understanding is working on that

*One person*. (There are probably others.  *So*?)

> Well, I guess you have nothing to worry about then.
> The problem is all Steyn's and not yours.  Life is
> good over there where you can express yourself in
> anyway you like . . . unless you're a prison guard

oh no, that's not quite right. All kinds of people
here have when carrying out their official duties to
refrain from publicising their political views.
**That is so in the US also**, Lawrence.

> -- but I suppose that's a small price to pay for
> "the Advancement of Arab-British Understanding."
> Right?

you are being silly.  It is not worth carrying this
discussion on.  You want to think -- to cite another
of your posts -- that 300 can't be shown in Europe?
Carry on thinking it.  Putting your mistakes right is
not worth the effort.  I'm out.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

Inbox full of unwanted email? Get leading protection and 1GB storage with All
New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html