[lit-ideas] Re: Iran outraged by Hollywood war epic

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:01:08 -0000

Owers didn't choose to ban the tie pin because she was answering calls from
anybody. She chose to because it made sense to her; to have prison warders
displaying such a symbol - which has close ties to the BNP - in a prison is not
advisable. The tie pin might be construed as saying that the warder was a
member of the BNP or supported the BNP. Not a clever move I'd suggest.

Note, however, that Steyn went way past the mark. He said, according to your
quote which I trust, that Owers had banned the flying of the English national
flag in English prisons.

Tell us Lawrence, do you think Steyn was telling the truth here?

A post postscript on the DVLA. The only related story as regards the DVLA and
the English flag is similar to the Heathrow story. Similar but funnier. An
urban myth was spread that the DVLA had issued a press release asking bad
drivers to advertise the fact by fixing an English flag to their windows.

American list members will not have seen the number of flags flown thus during
the last world cup. Equally they won't have noticed just how fast they
disappeared once England had fallen by the wayside.

Simon