[lit-ideas] Re: Interpretation and Elision

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:15:13 -0500

John: But what does it matter to the rest of you how much I exaggerate, or explore?

Eric: Many writers discover they have to exaggerate in order to appear "realistic." I wonder if others have noticed this. What seems on the writer's side of the text to be exaggerated descriptions, hyperbolic qualities and observations may appear--from the reader's side of the text---to be just right. It says something about the "through a glass darkly" aspect of texts and their reception.