[lit-ideas] Re: Interpretation and Elision

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:58:50 -0500

Ms. Cassimago: The posts I read from Eric supported Bush. Nobody knows Bush, etc. A few
posty grudingly said Bush isn't a good president.

Eric: Grudgingly? I had initially supported the invasion of Iraq because I believed it was worth giving Bush&Co. the benefit of the doubt in time of national emergency. When I realized that I was wrong, I publicly apologized to people on this list (and the other list) for my gullibility.

My later comments about "not knowing Bush" were, as I repeatedly explained to no effect, illustrative of far more suspicion about Bush than even rank-and-file antiBushists hold. For example, I would doubt, "the President is vacationing at Camp David with Mrs. Bush and his daughters." Is he at Camp David? Who is Laura Bush? Are those really his daughters or are they wannabe child--actors held captive to perform a public role? Of course, it's unlikely that this explanation will be heeded, anymore than my earlier explanations were.

Recent political differences revolve around other issues:

*Is globalism ultimately tenable? I think not. (In my leftist vision of what helps workers most, I think a strong nationalism best serves the cause.) Others disagree.

*Should the US be held to higher standards than other nations? I think not, and instead believe that nations should be compared to other nations. Others disagree.

*Would strong central world government be a good thing? I think not. Others disagree.