[lit-ideas] Re: Interpretation and Elision

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:27:04 EST

<<I  couldn't trust her to mean what she writes.>>
No matter how long I look at this  sentence, I can make no sense of it.
How can anyone not, on some level,  "mean" what they write??
Julie Krueger
stymied by humans

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Interpretation
and Elision  Date: 12/10/05 2:15:06 PM Central Standard Time  From:
_phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mike Geary wrote:

"Phil resents being  tricked by Irene."

I don't.  What I resent is the abuse of the trust  we share when we post
under our real names.  Posters on this list who,  to one degree or
another, hide their identities implicitly acknowledge that  they refuse
to fully share in this trust.  And as long as this is a  minority group,
the practice is tolerable.  The list suffers, however,  when the trust is
abused.  And to the degree that I value the list for  all the
contributions of posters, even those who greatly annoy me, I resent  the
abuse.

It seems to me that not all is well with Irene.  I  wish her the best but
I couldn't trust her to mean what she writes.  And  that is unfortunate.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto,  ON