[lit-ideas] Re: Information Control

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:04:37 -0500

If the government is serious in stopping child abuse, there are better ways to
do it.  Most child abuse happens in the home, including sexual abuse.  I
mentioned before that Sweden has made against the law hitting children,
especially with objects.  Here, as in most of the world, it's perfectly legal,
acceptable and expected.  If a wife gets hit, with out without an object, it's
called domestic violence.  If a child gets hit, with or without objects (belts,
fly swatters, spoons, etc.) it's called discipline.  The irony, of course, is
that hitting children and otherwise making them feel powerless is instrumental
in creating perpetrators.  Outlawing hitting children will not happen because
religious organizations support hitting children (called spanking).  If
children were given legal standing as human beings with full protection under
the law, the world would be a much safer place.

Changing the subject somewhat, last week's Newsweek did a cover story on boys.
The upshot is that all the focus on girls has ironically put many boys in the
position girls were in 30 years ago.  It's a problem that goes across the
board, affecting white boys as well as minorities.  The cover, in fact, has
only white boys pictured, even though the shot in this link is of minorities.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10965522/site/newsweek/