[lit-ideas] Indicate the way to my abode: the ultimate counterexample

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 13:02:44 -0400 (EDT)

McEvoy was arguing that Witters is right; I was contrariwise arguing that
Witters ain't right, but rather _wrong_.

This should be further evidence.

There is this song,

"show me the way to go home".

A parody runs:

"INDICATE the way to my abode".

NOW: "indicate" is cognate with Latin "dicere", i.e. say (and with  Greek,
'deixis'). Therefore; say and show are synonymous. Q. E. D. Witters ain't
right (but downright wrong). And so on.

Cheers,

---

From Speranza's songbook:

1925

Show me the way to go home
I'm tired and I want to go  to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
and it's gone straight up to  my head
where ever I may roam
on land or sea or foam
you will always  hear me singing this song
show me the way to go home

Indicate the way to my abode
I'm fatigued and I want to retire
I had  a spot of beverage sixty minutes ago
And it went right to my  cerebellum
Wherever I may perambulate
On land, or sea or atmospheric  vapour
You can always hear me crooning the melody
Indicate the way to my  abode

Lead me to my bed
I'm knackered and I want to get some kip
I had a  bit of booze about an hour ago
And it went right to my cop
Wherever I may  stroll
To the pub, or to the dole
You will always hear me making this  noise
Lead me to my bed

Folk song, adapted in 1925 by "Irving King", the British songwriting team
James Campbell and Reginald Connelly, written on a railroad train journey
from  London to somewhere.

They were tired from the traveling and had a few alcoholic drinks during
the journey, hence the lyrics.

It was possibly known to Witters, hence his dictum, "to say, to show --
perchance to dream".
Villa Speranza