[lit-ideas] Inconceivabilities

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 01:17:31 EST

1863  E. V. NEALE Anal. Th. & Nat. 219
The three points where Mr. Spencer's theory falls  foul of
inconceivabilities.

"Inconceivable Quantities of  Coco-Nuts"

              "One thing is inconceivable,that the Arabs should,
              as an existing nation, accept of modern  civilization."

 1882 Macm.  Mag. XLV. 405 The inconceivability of a popular  revolution [in
Russia].

"Men..who because of the inconceivableness of something they find in one,
throw themselves violently into the contrary hypothesis." (Locke)

My solution: the subscript device:

    "That's inconceivable" --- translated as "That's  inconceivable-JLS",
maybe it is conceivable-JMG, etc.

Balfour'd Unthinkables
1530 tr. Erasmus' Serm. Ch.  Jesus (1901) 7

Jesus, whiche by an vnspeakable, nay, with an vnthynkable  reason, is borne
God of God.

1830 W. TAYLOR Hist. Surv. Germ. Poetry I. 453
Separate from her To live is quite Separate fris death.

1865 MILL  Exam. Hamilton 134

An endeavour to think what cannot be thought..is the test by  which we
ascertain its unthinkability.

1884  H. SPENCER in Contemp. Rev. July 33
From whatever point of view we consider it, Bentham's  proposition proves to
be unthinkable.

1897 F.  H. BALFOUR Unthinkables 11

This involves unthinkabilities just as unthinkable as either  of the other
two.

1631 DONNE  in Select. (1840)  147

The inconceivable love of Christ.

1646  H. LAWRENCE Comm. Angells 34
With an inconceivable dexterity.

1721  BELLAMY Th. Trinity Introd. 3
There can be but one God, and..his Perfections  are inconceivable.

1748  Anson's Voy. III. ii. 310

"There were inconceivable  quantities of coco-nuts."

1822 J. IMISON Sc. & Art I. 222

Light appears to move with a velocity that is  truly inconceivable.

1853  J. H. NEWMAN Hist. Sk. (1876) II. I. iv. 229

One thing is  inconceivable,that the Turks should, as an existing  nation,
accept of modern civilization.
As a philosophical term.
The following distinctions in meaning, though disputed by  some, are
generally recognized:
(a) Opposed to the fundamental laws of thought,  self-contradictory,
involving a contradiction in terms.
(b) Repugnant to recognized axioms or established  laws of nature.
(c) Involving the dissolution of ideas which have  become inseparably linked
in the human mind.
(d) Involving a combination of facts, which  renders a proposition incredible
to the ordinary mind.
(e) Incapable of being represented by a mental  image.
1655  H. MORE Antid. Ath. I. iii. 10

What is inconceivable or  contradictious, is nothing at all to us.

1754 SHERLOCK Disc. (1759) I. iii. 136 The  Objection represents a Mystery as
a Thing inconceivable..irreconcileable  to..Reason.

1785 REID Intell. Powers II. xiv. (1803) I. 305

Power without substance is  inconceiveable.

1829  SIR W.  HAMILTON Discuss., Philos. Unconditioned (1852) 12

The Unconditioned is incognisable and  inconceivable.

1865  MILL Exam. Hamilton vi. (1872) 86 The  first meaning of Inconceivable
is, that of which the mind cannot form to itself  any representation..the first
and most proper meaning.  Ibid. 90 This extends the term inconceivable to
every combination  of facts which..appears incredible. It was in this sense
that
the Antipodes were  inconceivable. Ibid. 93 He [Hamilton] gives to the term a
third sense. ‘We conceive a  thing only as we think it within or under
something else’..The inconceivable in  this third sense, is simply the
inexplicable.

1872  H. SPENCER Princ. Psychol. (ed. 2) II. VII. xi.  §427 Let me here
define what I mean by inconceivable, as  distinguished from incredible or
unbelievable. An inconceivable proposition is  one of which the terms cannot by
any
effort be brought before consciousness in  that relation which the proposition
asserts between them.

1875  JOWETT Plato (ed. 2) IV. 271 Even these  inconceivable qualities of
space..may be made the subject of reasoning.
B. as  n. A thing or quality that cannot be conceived.
1706  WATTS Horæ Lyr. I. 56

Nothing's found in thee But boundless  inconceivables, And vast eternity!

1836-7  SIR W.  HAMILTON Metaph. xxxviii. (1859) II. 373

They confound together these exclusive  inconceivables into a single notion.

1865 MILL Exam. Hamilton 63 Inconceivables  are incessantly becoming
Conceivables as our experience becomes enlarged.

1847-8 H. MILLER First Impr. xvii. (1857) 302

Exactly the same degree of inconceivability  attaches to ‘the years of the
Eternal’.

1865 MILL Exam. Hamilton iv. (1872) 63 The  inconceivability and consequent
unknowability of the Unconditioned.

1882  Macm. Mag. XLV. 405 The  inconceivability of a popular revolution [in
Russia].

1843 MILL  Logic III. v.  §9 (1856) I. 389

The action of mind upon matter..has  appeared to some thinkers to be itself
the grand inconceivability.

1863 E. V. NEALE Anal. Th. & Nat. 219
The three points where Mr. Spencer's theory falls  foul of
inconceivabilities.

1865  MASSON Rec. Brit. Philos. 393
He has had to assume an inexplicability, an  inconceivability, a paradox, as
nevertheless a fact.

1661 GLANVILL  Van. Dogm. vi. 57

Wee need go no further for an evidence of its  inconceivableness.

1690 LOCKE Hum. Und. IV. iii. §6

Men..who because of the  inconceivableness of something they find in one,
throw themselves violently into  the contrary hypothesis.

1740 ABERNETHY in Reid's Intell. Powers  IV. iii.  (1803) II. 63 The measure
of impossibility to us is  inconceivableness, that of which we can have no
idea, but that reflecting upon  it, it appears to be nothing.

1872 H. SPENCER Princ. Psychol. (ed. 2) II. §426 The inconceivableness of its
negation is that which shows a  cognition to possess the highest rank.

1651 BAXTER  Inf. Bapt. 55

The Church of Christ is not in a worse condition  now..but inconceivably
better.

1711  STEELE Spect. No. 167 3 The ill Consequence of  these Reveries is
inconceiveably great.

1748  JOHNSON Vision Theodore 6 Amazed to find it  without foundation, and
placed inconceivably in emptiness and darkness.

1750  Rambler No. 41 13 Though its actual  existence be inconceivably short.

1866 J. MARTINEAU Ess. I. 19 The book is  inconceivably absurd.

products.