[lit-ideas] In memoriam Helen Lyndon Goff

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 10:26:55 -0500 (EST)

"Helen Goff?", asked Walt Disney, as inspecting the bill from the Beverly
Hills Hotel, where she was staying.
Disney's secretary: "That's her real name".

"Shouldn't the correct be,
'Let's go AND fly a kite?' I guess I am supposed to
overlook that, right?"
---- Helen Goff, as taped by the Disney Studios.

(recreated in "Saving Mr. Banks" -- now playing).

The British monarchy has an interesting practice.

Helen Lyndon Goff's resting place: St Mary the Virgin's Church, Twickenham,
 England.

Children: Camillus Travers Hone (adopted son), born in Ireland, died in
London, 2011.

P. L. Travers (Pamela Lyndon Travers) became OBE.

She was née  Helen Lyndon Goff, but the British monarchy would have none of
that nonsense  when attaching the person to an OBE.

When the New York Times published  Helen Lyndon Goff's obituary, it got
some facts wrong. They claimed her father  had been a sugar plantation manager.
He wasn't.

Oddly, Goff would recall  that her father was Irish.

Yet, he was London-born, albeit with Irish  connections. I find all that
pretty fascinating.

From Wikipedia:

"Helen Lyndon Goff (she was known within her family as Lyndon) was born in
Maryborough, Queensland, Australia, the daughter of an unsuccessful bank
manager  (later demoted to bank clerk) named Travers Robert Goff, who was of
Irish  background but born in Deptford, south London, England."

From Helen Goff's biography:

About Helen Goff's claiming her father was Irish. From Googlebooks

http://books.google.com/books?id=8tQyAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA14&dq=Helen+Lyndon+Goff&h
l=it&sa=X&ei=N0i8Uo2MC
KzIsASUloG4Cg&ved=0CEkQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Helen%20Lyndon%20Goff&f=false

"[Helen Goff's] confusion was
understandable considering [her
father Travers] Goff's reluctance
to reveal his origins, even to his