[lit-ideas] Re: In Passing

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 20:23:51 -0700

On Apr 5, 2011, at 7:26 PM, John Wager wrote:

> David Ritchie wrote:
>> The University of Portland has a "Director of Soccer Operations."  Do you
>> think she does knees?
>
> I dunno. Does the University of Portland Vice-President of Academic Affairs
> do affairs? Social? Extra-marital? (I once knew a young asst. prof. who had
> had an affair with the vice president of academic affairs as an
> undergraduate.)

The lawyers at Bailiwicks, Turf and Terroire LLC have been asked for an opinion
on this tricky matter.  I should think that in this instance the term "vice"
may count against.

>> Evelyn Moscow-Froehlich, which I understand to mean Evelyn Moscow-Merry, was
>> from Des Moines, which means "Of the monks."
>
> If Des Moines is really "De Moine", why is Des Plaines Illinois "Des Plains"?

Because it's not Grand Tea-tahns National Park, Vur-sales, Illinois, or as they
say in Idaho, Pahnderay (Pont d'Oreille).  I dunno.

David Ritchie,
L'Université de Doute III, Langues et