[lit-ideas] Re: In Passing

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 21:26:29 -0500

David Ritchie wrote:
The University of Portland has a "Director of Soccer Operations."  Do you think
she does knees?

I dunno. Does the University of Portland Vice-President of Academic Affairs do affairs? Social? Extra-marital? (I once knew a young asst. prof. who had had an affair with the vice president of academic affairs as an undergraduate.)

Evelyn Moscow-Froehlich, which I understand to mean Evelyn Moscow-Merry, was from Des
Moines, which means "Of the monks."

If Des Moines is really "De Moine", why is Des Plaines Illinois "Des Plains"?