[lit-ideas] Re: Implicature from the Past

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:07:44 EST

In a message dated 11/3/2004 1:39:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>  Ditto for "I had a dream", that Ritchie echoes.

On this day, for a  fillip, let us remind ourselves how the peroration went.
As JLS undoubtedly  knew, there was no "had" in it.
Let us not wallow in the valley of despair.  I say to you today my friends -
so even though we face the difficulties of  today and tomorrow, I still have
a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in  the American dream.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up
----

Oddly, I was thinking (call me frivolous) of Bernadette Peter's (sic)
rendition in Gypsy earlier this year on Broadway.

"You know...I had a dream last night. There was a  big poster of a mother
and daughter, like the covers of  the ladies magazines..."

Cheers,

JL

----

_http://www.lyricsondemand
.com/soundtracks/g/gypsylyrics/rosesturnlyrics.html_
(http://www.lyricsondemand.com/soundtracks/g/gypsylyrics/rosesturnlyrics.html)

I had a dream.
I dreamed it for you, June.
It wasn't for me,  Herbie.
And if it wasn't for me
then where would you be,
Miss Gypsy  Rose Lee?

Well, someone tell me, when is it my turn?
Don't I get a  dream for myself?
Starting now it's gonna be my turn.
Gangway, world, get  off of my runway!
Starting now I bat a thousand!
This time, boys, I'm  taking the bows and

everything's coming up Rose!
Everything's coming  up roses!
Everything's coming up roses
this time for me!
For me! For  me! For me! For me! For me!
For me! Yeah!
[Rose takes the silent bows as  Gypsy enters and applauds]

Rose
I was...trying out for you...New ideas  you might wanna use...

Gypsy
You really would have been something,  momma!

Rose
Do you think so?

Gypsy
If you had someone to  push you like I had...

Rose
If I could have been...I would have  been...
And that's show business!
I guess I did it for  me...

Gypsy
Why, momma?

Rose
Just wanted to be  noticed...

Gypsy
Like I wanted you to notice me!
I still do,  momma!
[They embrace each other. Rose cries]

Gypsy
It's OK, momma!  OK, Rose!

Rose
See... You look like you should speak  French!

Gypsy
You're coming to that party with  me...

Rose
No!

Gypsy
Come on!

Rose
Not like  this.

Gypsy
Wear my fur I have a stole in my  cabinet.

Rose
Well, maybe just for an hour or two...Hey, it looks  better on me than it
does on you. Funny how we can both wear the same  size!

Gypsy
Specially in mink.

Rose
You know...I had a dream  last night. There was a big poster of a mother
and daughter, like the covers  of the ladies magazines...

Gypsy
Yes, momma!

Rose
Only it  was you and me wearing exactly the same gowns. It was an add for
Minsky, and  the headline said: "MADAM ROSE...AND HER DAUGHTER GYPSY".
[They laugh,  embrace each other and leave. Rose stops for a while and
take one last look  at the stage as if she said good-bye.]