[lit-ideas] Re: Implications of Multiplying Gadgets, was Poetry and Madness

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 06:49:01 EDT

<<Re  IM'ing on the phone: My wife frequently uses IM for cross-talk
while  participating in conference calls. She and a friend use IM to
make snide  remarks or plot strategy while other call participants are
droning or ranting  on. I wonder how widespread this sort of behavior
has  become.>>

It's not uncommon  for me to be chatting with a friend in an IM and be
talking to my Mother on the  phone at the same time .... I think e-mailing or
IMing
while on the phone is  pretty common -- the friends I talk to on the phone I
frequently hear  typing.  But I don't IM and phone the same friend
simultaneously  <g>.  That phenomena seems common w/ adolescents here, for some
 unclear
reason.

Julie  Krueger

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Implications of
Multiplying Gadgets, was Poetry and  Madness  Date: 10/22/2006 10:05:54 P.M.
Central Standard Time  From: _john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent
on:
On 10/23/06, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx  <JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yeah -- my kids, 13  & 15, keep lobbying for a tv, vcr, dvd, and computer of
> their own,  not to mention a cell phone.  Considering that we are outside of
>  cable country that would mean 3 satellites unless everyone wanted to  watch
> the same thing at once (yeah, right).  I am totally in  support of positive
> use of TV (History, Discovery Channels) and  computers (research for school
> work), but enough is enough....when they  start IM'ing the same person
> they're talking with on the  phone.....

I recall what I wrote in the final chapter of my book on  Japanese
consumer behavior,

It  is virtually impossible to read an account of Japanese social
structure that  does not enshrine the ie, the 'traditional' patriarchal
household defined in  Meiji law and assumed to be the root metaphor for
social organization in  Japanâfrom families to firms to the Japanese
state as a whole. As we have  seen, however, the ie model has not gone
unchallenged. The American-style  nuclear family in which relationships
are supposed to be free, open, and  egalitarian has been an attractive
alternative for nearly a half century. The  'Husband-Wife Holon'
envisioned by HILL researchers can be seen as an attempt  to balance
the claims of these two models in a 'Couple' as they define it,  in
which patriarchal authority is only a powerless shadow.
The impact of modern technology makes even this compromise seem very
fragile  indeed. In 'Tractors, Television, and Telephones: Reach Out
and Touch Someone  in Rural Japan', William Kelly describes the impact
of TV on traditional  household organization. In traditional households
in rural Japan, he writes,  the center of family life was the chanoma
or family room. Family and  household hierarchy were clearly delineated
by the seating arrangements  around the open rectangular where the
family shared its evening meals and  entertained its guests. The place
of honor was the seat with its back to the  tokonoma, the ceremonial
alcove where seasonal flowers and paintings might be  displayed.
Traditionally, that was the seat of the senior male,  the household
head. When TV was introduced, however, the tokonoma provided  a
convenient place for the set. To be able to watch TV, the household
head  shifted his seat to one side, disrupting the traditional
hierarchy of places.  The voice of the TV newscaster began to compete
with the household head as a  source of authoritative pronouncements
(Kelly 1992:84).
The  June 1997 issue of Brain, one of Japan's leading marketing trade
periodicals,  carries a report that seems to carry Kelly's argument to
a new extreme. It  begins,

One family, one TV has now become one person, one TV. One family,  one
telephone has become one person, one telephone. The living room  where
the telephone and the TV were the center of the household is buried  in
dust. The household's members are in their own rooms each  watching
their own TVs. They communicate with the outside world using  their
portable phones. To begin the day, each gets up when he or she has  to,
heats up some ready-to-eat food or stops by a fast-food restaurant  to
eat a 'breakfast set'. The family core of the household is  now
fragmented in time and space to a shocking degree
(Tomiie and Ãzawa  1997:5)

There is, to be sure, an element of dramatic overstatement here.  The
analysis following this introduction reports that most Japanese  still
have warm and fuzzy feelings about what they see as  traditional
families. In their summary, however, the researchers  write,

As the family dissolves into individuals, we are groping for a  new
form of family. This group will be constituted in ways that turn  a
fragmented family into a family after all. There will be no feeling  of
constriction. Relationships will be like powder [not 'wet' and  sticky
like traditional relationships]. Its members won't be pushy, they  will
treat each other gently. New forms of consumption will be the tools  by
which these families are formed
(Brain 1997:7)

Those used to  reading and thinking about traditional Japanese family
ideals may be shocked  by the final sentences.

No longer will families be the 'fated' families  we have had until now.
Family relationships will involve different kinds of  friendship and
love. In the movie Leon, the assassin who is the main  character always
takes his plants with him wherever he moves. When asked if  he likes
potted plants, he replies, 'They are my friends. They are healthy,  and
they keep their mouths shut'. He and his plants form a household  based
on gentle, non-binding, relationships.
(Brain  1997:7)

Re  IM'ing on the phone: My wife frequently uses IM for cross-talk
while  participating in conference calls. She and a friend use IM to
make snide  remarks or plot strategy while other call participants are
droning or ranting  on. I wonder how widespread this sort of behavior
has  become.

John

--
John McCreery