[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:17:44 -0500

 Hi, Carol,
I had to almost smile when you mentioned the meth labs.  Here in Missouri, we
know all about meth labs. Independence, where my library's hq is, is considered
the Capital of MethLand.

This article shows some of the stats on this issue ... many of the meth labs
are now in rural Missouri--though there are maps that show how scattered they
are around our state...

Best,
Marlena

Missouri tops in known meth labs
AP story in The Kansas City Star today:
WASHINGTON ? Some states with significant methamphetamine problems have not
received their share of federal money because lawmakers have directed most of a
grant program to favored projects in their districts.
Missouri was cited Thursday by the Justice Department?s inspector general as
one example of a shortchanged state. Missouri ranked second, behind California,
in seizing 11,859 meth labs between 1998 and 2004. But it was 10th in grants
received, with $3.7 million. Texas and Illinois were 10th and 11th in the
number of labs seized, but 23rd and 25th, respectively, in money from the meth
initiative.
Well. If you figure the number of known meth labs in each state by the number
of actual households, Missouri leaves the rest of the country - including
California - behind: