[lit-ideas] Re: Imagination and maths [and maybe more.....]

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:21:40 EST

<<The  people who really quarrel with the excluded middle are those
mathematicians  called "intuitionists," who will not, as I recall
accept existence proofs  that depend on the law of the excluded
middle.>>

This is interesting.  I'd  be interested to know on what basis they refuse
those  proofs.

Julie Krueger

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Imagination and
maths [and maybe  more.....]  Date: 12/18/04 1:31:28 P.M. Central Standard Time

From: _junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Robert Paul writes:

: Not all of us accept  the Laws of Logic of Aristotle to be Absolute Truth.
: Quantum and  Astro Physics would quarrel with the excluded middle,  etc.
Logi
:  c
: may need to be re-defined/described.
:  --------------------------------------
: Modern logic is not Aristotelian and  hasn't been since the great work of
Freg
: e
: in the late 19th century.  Stoic logic is closer to modern propositional
logic
:  in
: that it  deals not just with classes of things (the subjects and predicates
of
:  Aristotelian logic) but with entire sentences, and with logical constants
suc
: h
: as 'or,' etc.
:
: However, I'm not sure how quantum  physics 'quarrels' with the law of the
: excluded middle.

I suspect  that the reference is to the example of Schroedinger's Cat,
which is in a  middle state where it cannot be said to be either alive
or dead.

--
Peter D.  Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
EMAIL:  junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    URL:   http://samsara.law.cwru.edu