[lit-ideas] Re: I'm going back to lurking

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 09:24:38 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Austin,

After I made the remark about Hawthorne and the Quaker
woman I regretted it somewhat, and I said later that I
withdraw that remark. I thought that the episode might
be of some interest at the time I made the comment,
but later I figured it could have been an impertinent
thing to say. I apologize for that remark. However, I
did not regret questioning the
epistemological/analytical import of an isolated
personal episode, nor do I regret having done so now.
It is not a matter that should give you offence, for I
was not questioning your personal fairness or
veracity, but rather addressing you in the context of
the general discussion. Repeatedly deliberately
misspelling my name does not do you much honour, and
neither does refering to "Moslems" as a single lump,
as you have done a couple of times in your earlier
post. But perhaps we all have minor imperfections that
should be excused, if not necessarily tolerated. Also,
it's not much use to present yourself as a lurker,
when in fact you have been contributing regularly to
this list and the previous lists. When I responded, I
was not thinking about you as someone who only steps
in briefly to tell a personal anecdote, but rather as
someone who is a participant in the general debate,
and is prepared to handle criticism and challenge. I
hope that you will change your mind and stay on the
list, though in truth I am considering stepping down
myself.

O.K.

www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html