[lit-ideas] Re: Il N'Y A Personne

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 06:15:53 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/2009 6:10:35 A.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,
palma@xxxxxxxx writes:
false
as in la eprsonne qui a dit  que personne est seulement la traduction de
no-one

----

Granted; but, with all due respect, is that _good_ French?

In most  manuals of Style, they say, do not use 'person'.

The fact remains that, with 'rien' and 'personne', the French don't feel
the need to _negate_, since the noun carries the negative bit:

   "Je n'ai rien"
   "Il n'y a personne"

----

Why?

I admit the French are confused about 'step', which is what 'pas'  means.

"Je ne veux pas manger, merci"

"I won't be eating, thanks -- step." I find the addition of "step" otiose.

JLS

fingertips.