[lit-ideas] If you dont like the crime in South Africa...

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:23:18 -0500

Palma sent : http://youtube.com/watch?v=_G5bXsF2qQs&feature=related

which shows a government minister indicating that

"If you dont like the crime in South Africa..." [leave]

Why is this state of affairs so under-reported? I only became aware of this recently. (Another provincial American, right?)

As a postcolonial crisis, it seems that post-Apartheid South African state is worse than occupied Iraq or urban Brazil in murders. Yet it's not exactly an attention-getter in the US.

Is it because the social disaster doesn't fit with our notions of progress?

Eric Yost