[lit-ideas] Re: If you can't beat 'em ...

  • From: joerg benesch <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:49:42 +0200

videant consules ne quid detrimenti capiat res publica!

Mike Geary schrieb:
EY:
Writing from the Most Holy Something-or-Other in Rome, Mike asks, "When is there to be an end of that unbridled audacity...

Although I have been called the Pope of Midtown, that missive comes not from Vatican City but the Roman Senate. It is an adaptation of Cicero's First Oration against Cataline -- sections of which I had to memorize back in Latin III -- sorry for dropping that translation on you, but I had to put my education to some use, somewhere at some point. Thank you for being there.

Mike Geary
Et tu, Ericus?