[lit-ideas] Re: If my previous post struck you as odd...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 02:53:54 -0800

On Mar 11, 2011, at 12:16 AM, cblists@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 11-Mar-11, at 5:56 AM, David Ritchie wrote:
>
>> wondering what's happened to line spacing in
>> Portland, Oregon
>
> Am I correct in surmising that you 'cut and pasted' your Wikipedia quotation?
>
> When i attempt such operations (i.e., cutting and pasting bits of text from
> Internet pages into e-mail messages) the line spacing in my messages also
> goes 'wonky' (generally I get 'double spacing' in all text I append to the
> quotation - and can't seem to get out of it).

Exactly.

> The only solution I've found is to paste the quote first into a text-editing
> program (Apple's 'TextEdit'), convert it from 'rich text' to 'plain text' and
> then back, and then cut and paste it into an e-mail message.  Oddly enough,
> converting to 'plain text' and then back to 'rich text' within my e-mail
> program (Apple's 'Mail') doesn't seem to solve the problem.

I shall do this.

> Chris Bruce,
> admiring the 'derivatives'
> "wonkily" and "wonkiness"
> offered by Apple's Dictionary
> (neither of which are in
> Mail's 'spell-checker'), in
> Kiel, Germany

You caused me to wonder how a "policy wonk" and "wonky" are related; in my mind
they have different meanings.  Could this be a British/American difference?
What a catalog of thoughts about otherness is contained in the OED's entries on
"wonk" and "wonky": a misheard or mispronounced version of a Chinese expression
meaning "yellow dog," someone who is nervous or upset, a failing naval cadet, a
white person in Australia, an effeminate or homosexual man, a hard-working
person in America, someone or thing who is groggy or unstable, unsound or
unreliable in Britain and...  If not abounding, wonks are scattered far and
wide, both here and there.

David Ritchie,
a bit wonky in
Portland, Oregon