[lit-ideas] Re: If Americans Knew

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:47:54 -0400

This is even worse than the first site you sent us to, Stan.

First, this is all it said about Weir:

When I arrived at the conference, I looked over the information tables. One table offered what can only be described as anti-Israel, anti-U.S. propaganda in the guise of scholarly and professional research society materials. On the bulletin board was a business card for Alison Weir’s IfAmericansKnew.org, an anti-Israel *Web site* <http://www.ifamericansknew.org/> claiming that America’s support of Israel should be terminated, and that a Palestinian state should replace Israel. The site uses misleading statistics to push its hateful message. For instance, the chart depicting American aid to Israel and the Arab world ignores the fact that, while Palestinians receive less U.S. aid than Israel does, the Arab world as a whole gets much more; in addition, aid to Israel is reciprocated through new technology. Also, the Web site’s statistics on Palestinian casualties include suicide bombers and armed combatants as “civilian casualties.”

Weir has also distorted history in the past. She once called a massacre of 60 yeshiva students in Hebron in 1929 by Arabs an “Arab uprising” against Jewish oppression – even before Israel existed. Manipulation of statistics to advance political goals for foreign dictatorships should not be welcome at an academic conference.

The first paragraph is half cribbed from the first site you sent us to. And the second paragraph is nonsense. You don't have to be a 'state' to oppress someone.

If this is the best you can do to refute the IfAmericansKnew website, I'm not impressed.
U.

Stan Spiegel wrote:

In the article on 'If Americans Knew' in Wikipedia, several external links are given. One is by "Scholars for Terror," which gives a pretty scary view of Alison Weir, the freelance journalist behind "If Americans Knew." I suggest you take a look at that.
Stan Spiegel
Shortcut to: http://www.answers.com/topic/if-americans-knew

.