[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:44:47 +0100

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
"In the meantime we must deal with the world as it is.  Not
 all nations are presently Liberal Democracies.  Pakistan is
not a Liberal Democracy.  We know that.  Everyone knows that.
 We must deal with Pakistan as it exists, not as we would like it to be."
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

a bit relativist, this.  OK, that's not fair.  But we can try to
signal that we would like it to change, as people have been
doing during Musharraf's current visit hereabouts.

Tomorrow,  a Briton cleared of murder twice but convicted by
a religious court (one sharia judge dissenting) is due to be executed
 in Pakistan.

We know about him because he's British.  Most people in
this situation in Pakistan presumably simply go to their
deaths in silence.

Please read this piece:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/legal/article1772359.ece

In Pakistan, rape is dealt with under Islamic law.  There
are moves to change this, but I doubt they will succeed.
Here is one of many media reports on the situation:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/pakistan/Story/0,,1874358,00.html

(perhaps next time you accuse feminists of ignoring
Islam/women you could remember this -- I'll try to
remember to post links to the outcry among feminists in
the US re the rape of Mukhtaran Mai....)

Pakistan under its current regime is as it were in the vanguard of torture

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1883582,00.html

while doing deals with militant Islamists who probably count
as terrorists

http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,,1883737,00.html

Judy Evans, Cardiff