[lit-ideas] Re: Ideology vs Experience

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 22:23:16 -0500

Eric Yost wrote:

Ursula: The plural of anecdote is not 'data'.

The plural of anecdote is urban legend, at least in some areas north of Mason-Dixon.

I've heard rumors from time to time about something called an "urban legend," but personally I've never had a direct experience of one. I suspect that the whole idea of an "urban legend" is just the result of stories being passed on as true just because one has heard them from someone who heard them from someone who they say actually saw it happen, but no one bothers to trace it back to the original seer. There is no such thing as an "Urban legend."

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA