[lit-ideas] Re: Ian Morris

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 23:23:05 -0700

Thanks.  I'll watch the video tomorrow.  For me Morris is a perfect example of
how a reader "brings something to the text."  My past reading doesn't support
the conclusions Morris implies that he will draw.  I took early offense at him
for entering into the Political Science realm without acknowledging the two
Political Scientists who have been the most innovative and provocative.  On the
other hand, I've read Niall Ferguson and not taken offense at him for what
sounds a bit like part of Morris' argument.  Ferguson may be closer to Morris
than to the political scientists, and perhaps Morris's beginning with a
counterfactual is homage to Ferguson.

Ferguson is an Imperialist who thinks there needs to be a world ruler on the
order of what the British were during the 19th century.  Morris may be
attempting to mine his archeological background with the intention of relating
it to the British-sort of imperialism.  I recall being unhappy with Ferguson
for assuming that the U.S. ought to seek to be imperialistic in the
19th-century-British sense.  That he thought the U.S. might be persuaded by his
arguments indicated to me that he never entered into the American way(s) of
life as much as he claimed to.  One of those ways is Isolationism and I
referenced Krauthammer referring to its resurgence.  I'm not a Ron Paul
Isolationist, but I don't agree with Krauthammer that the world will descend
into chaos if we have four or eight years of an Isolationist-president's
administration.  After all, both Wilson and F.D. Roosevelt won their elections
by accommodating Isolationist positions.

Perhaps, if I am getting closer to Morris's position in my speculation I need
to add Victor Davis Hanson to the mix.  He might embrace many of the arguments
of Morris and Ferguson but argue that there is no non-Western military force
that is ever going to defeat the military forces of the West.  He qualifies
that position with a lot of caveats.  He doesn't mean the defeat at Little Big
Horn or Pearl Harbor except in the sense that they were milestones causing the
U.S. to take these enemies more seriously.  Once that happened Western victory
was assured -- if not immediate.  I haven't read Hanson recently but I doubt
that he sees any Eastern force being able to "rule" over the West in the sense
he has argued the West has ruled over the world.

I was once in a debate of long duration with an expert on the Red Army who
described it as unconquerable and the best army in the world.  I think this guy
was correct in a sense, the same sense that the Chinese army is unconquerable.
No foreign nation is going to be able to invade and conquer either of these
nations in the foreseeable future.  However, this isn't what Morris, Ferguson
or Hanson had in mind by "rule."  Britain and now the U.S. have been able to
project their military might long distances in order to conquer or intimidate
nations in order to accomplish political goals.  Neither Russia nor China
presently have that capability.  They can exert influence against or in support
of bordering nations but they can't move a huge military force half way around
the world.  And we apparently have political forces rising up in the U.S.
saying we don't want to do that anymore; which might result in a benign
interpretation of Morris's title "Why the West Rules -- for now."

Lawrence