[lit-ideas] Ian McHattie Crombie, of Wadham College, Oxford -- R. I. P.

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:44:13 EDT

"McHattie" as he was known to friends, died a couple of days ago.

Question to D. Ritchie:

Would you abbreviate a philosopher's name:

I. M. Crombie?

--- I would think that "McHattie" HAS to be abbreviated as "McH"

i.e.

I McH Crombie

I don't know much about Scots good usage. But it strikes me as an Irishism
or a Scottism to abbreviate "McHattie" as "M".

It's like the Irish phone directory book, where "O'" is omitted, and
"O'Reilly" has to be found, appropriately, under "Reilly", not under "O''"  Etc.

Cheers,

JLS

----