[lit-ideas] Re: I versus E

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:52:28 -0700

Someone 'splain to me, please, why when I do a spell-check, "enquirer" is a
valid option, "enquire" is not, "inquire" is, and "inquirer" is not.

Some things are beyond explanation. The programming of your spell-checker seems to be one of them. 'Enquire,' and 'enquiry,' are British spellings (as in Hume's Enquiry). When I tried this out with the spell-checker in AppleWorks, it suggested that I might want to replace 'enquire' with 'Quine.' I'm glad Apple is hiring philosophers.

Where the hell is Speranza when you need him....

By 'Speranza,' I take it you mean JL.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute