[lit-ideas] Re: I shall say this only 5,000 times (allo allo)

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:29:33 -0500

I used fake handwriting when I signed gift tags 'Santa Claus'. I found out years later that my son always thought "Santa's" gifts came from my brother. Echoing Mike, I say don't try to outsmart your kids. Let them be kids when they're kids. If they ask you directly whether there's a Santa Claus, tell them you don't know. I used to say, I know the Santa on the corner is not real, but that doesn't mean there's no real Santa Claus. Your kid will be smarter than you know. Some days, he or she will be smarter than you want. Go with your love -- the words will come. And congratulations...

Ursula

Mike wrote...
We noticed that the tooth fairy and Santa Claus had the same backwards handwriting, etc. Perhaps the fact that we would both become Engineers was early obvious.

So I guess my question to the group is: is it deprivation to let a kid grow up without this childish nonsense? If it is... what exactly am I depriving him of?

Paul (soon to be Mr.) Stone