[lit-ideas] Re: I shall appreciate the opinion of native speaker sof English on the correctness fo the judgment in the last line (to the effect that the sentence can mean and can only mean THE BOY WHO LOST IS LEFT

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 09:44:21 -0600

"Is lost" is not the same as "lost." The boy (who lost at some contest) left the premises. The boy (who IS lost) left before the police arrived searching for him.

And typically the term "has" would be used rather than "is," in either of the two contexts. The lost boy has left. The boy who lost the contest has left.

As a "native" speaker, please PLEASE don' task me about why the past tense of "leave" is "left." In my heart I know it's not right, but if it's not right, it SHOULD be left, no?

Adriano Palma wrote:
Is the boy who
lost left
fails to have the following interpretation:
(is it the case that) the boy who is lost left?
Why does this string only mean: