[lit-ideas] Re: I need new music

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:18:31 +0100 (BST)

A cool thing over here that has had great reviews [Mojo: 5/5; Observer 5/5
etc] is 'I am a Bird Now' by Antony and the Johnsons. It has a song about
fist-f..king that is so beautiful you could play it to your kids or your
granny and they wouldn't notice. It also has a song for the kind of feminist
who would like to hear Nina Simone emote: 'Some day I'm gonna grow up and be
a beautiful woman/ Some day I'm gonna grow up and be a beautiful girl/ But
for today?/ I am a child/ But for today?/ I am a boy'. (Antony is a tranny).

It is the best, most striking thing I've heard all year and the few I've
played it to all love it.

Donal

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com