[lit-ideas] Re: I need advice/input...

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:54:00 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 8/22/08, Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>

> Laptops which are available now have (as far as I can
> determine from
> advertised spec's) equivalent capabilities to desktops
> (which I'm thinking
> are going to go the way of mainframes).  Question:  what
> pragmatic
> advantages are there to using a desktop rather than a
> laptop?

Bigger keyboard, display. More power for the same money. In practice, none: you
can hook a bigger keyboard and a display to a laptop, two displays is actually
very useful. As for power, I am writing this with the cheapest HP laptop I
couldn't find, bought it for my wife, and there are absolutely no performance
issues. It is in general damn impressive for a low-end consumer machine. Don't
go for the smallest memory configs though.

> Security issues are the only things I can think of that
> would be issues at
> the Shul office re. laptop vs. desktop.  I'm inclined
> to go w/ desktop.  Are
> there any good reasons to choose a laptop over a desktop???

Er, what's Shul? Security might be one, but we are talking physical security
here. Depends, is the computere safer in a locked but an empty office, or with
you?

But in general, apart from the obvious advantages, laptops use a lot less
electricity. And precisely because computers have gotten so powerful they have
also become power hungry. Laptops battery constraints keeps this in check, they
are designed to consume as little electricity as possible.

And why exactly do you need two computers? Just run two environments in one.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland