[lit-ideas] Re: I need advice/input...

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:26:09 -0700

Julie,

I have Office 2007 & Vista on both my desktop and laptop - and if I had to
do it all over again I would use Office 2003 and Windows XP.   If I was
trying to keep the cost as low as possible, I'd use Windows XP Pro and Open
Office (which is free) & Eudora (which is free).

However, the big danger I see in your future is . . . backup.  I have for
years gotten the latest everything and had a zillion crashes.  I have a
nephew who is a computer nerd, who manages a computer system for a company.
He is the one who has talked me into using the latest everything, but he
agrees, Vista has too many problems.  Windows XP would be better.  Except I
already have Vista and it would be too big a hassle to change back to XP
Pro.

In regard to Office 2007, I only use Outlook 2007 and so can't speak about
the other elements, but Outlook 2007 has been crashing, in its own way
daily.  It has a problem with the viewing pane.  If you set it up so you
view emails on the right side, sometimes it doesn't like that and crashes -
very slowly, fading out and making you wait for it to finally go so you can
start it up again.  My nephew has had similar problems; although not quite
mine.  My problem may be associated with the combination of Vista (the way
it is set up on my computer) & Office 2007.

Back to backup.  Since I have lost data over the years, I am paranoid about
backup.  I have both a desktop and a laptop.  My laptop is a big one, a 17
inch HP with Vista & Office 2007.   If I'm doing a lot of serious writing, I
prefer the laptop, but for most things I use my desktop - when it is working
properly.  I backup data from my desktop to my laptop and to a couple of
hard-drive I keep for backup.

I have the additional problem.  Susan has a desktop and a laptop.  The last
thing I had go out was my router . . . but if you have only one office to
worry about, you wouldn't need a router.  However, if you are upgrading an
old computer with more RAM and a better Operating System, you will need
backup.  How big is your hard drive?  You can get an enclosure with 750 GBs
for about $115 if you check around.

The problem with Open office (the free equivalent of Microsoft Office 2007
or 2003, can't tell) is that it has no email utility.  However, you could
get Eudora, which is also free - except I can't recall if that has a
colander.

I am going to put Office 2003 back on my desktop and see if I can get it to
accept my Office 2007 emails.  If not, I shall probably delete everything
from Office 2007 except Outlook and just keep that as an archive for emails.

Of course your problems may vary, if you insist on staying with Microsoft
(as opposed to Apple).  Vista has a good backup utility, better than Windows
XP Pro.

If I had to have just one computer, I would make it a brand new one and hope
it lasted at least two years - otherwise, two computers and lots of backup.

Lawrence Helm

San Jacinto