[lit-ideas] "I love Starbucks"

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 04:45:27 EST

Starbucks 'bomb' was only a flashlight

Friday, January 13, 2006; Posted: 12:16  a.m. EST (05:16 GMT)

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- What authorities  thought was a bomb in a
Starbucks coffee shop turned out to be a flashlight  casing, police said
Thursday.
A forensic analysis "revealed the absence of any explosive material," a
police statement said.
Police initially said the device found in the store's bathroom Monday was
powerful enough to seriously injure or kill someone if it had exploded. Police
evacuated about 100 people from the Starbucks and apartments above it.
A man arrested on suspicion of planting an explosive device, Ronald Schouten,
 was still being held Thursday on an unrelated burglary charge. But police
said  his explanation on how the flashlight ended up in the coffee shop was
credible.
Schouten, 44, told KPIX-TV that he found the flashlight in the street and
accidentally dropped it in the bathroom.
"I love that Starbucks," Schouten said in an interview with the station. "The
 people are saints. They know I'm homeless. They let me drink coffee for 50
cents. I love those people."
The station reported that the flashlight was filled with corroded  batteries.