[lit-ideas] Re: I like to look someone in the eye when I'm talking about money

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:40:09 -0500

>>Cash is king.

IOUs must be the pretender in exile.

Many years ago, had dinner with a bunch of friends, one of whom was a banker. After the meal there was an unusually scrupulous division of the bill, the banker having calculated everyone's share. The nitpicking nettled me so much I deliberately muddled up the cash, much to the banker's annoyance. "Hey this is serious," she exclaimed. "Stop clowning."

Something about the moon that night. Must have been. Anyway, that made me escalate my muddling, causing more protests. Finally I took out two twenty dollar bills, tore them into confetti, showered the table with them. Banker got furious and walked out.

Not one of my prouder money moments. Banker, however, is still a friend.