[lit-ideas] Re: I had absolutely no idea ...

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 00:24:52 -0600

Apparently I haven't gone on vacation yet, but I am -- very, very soon.

I remember the book: The Wit and Wisdom of Spiro Agnew. -- the hundred or so
pages were blank.  Now that was funny!  But I didn't buy it.

As to the selections Julie gives us from WWDR, I don't really find them so
outrageous.  I find Rumsfeld himself outrageous -- and much, much worse than
outrageous, I find him -- ach! let's not even go there.  The man has too much
to answer for already.  Regardless or my personal opinion of Rumsfeld, I've
never had much problem with the grammar or rationality of what he's been quoted
as saying.  Peculiar, unusually worded, quixotic, original -- yes, but that's
usually bravoed for being creative.  Maybe it's a case of the left not wanting
to acknowledge creativity from people with whom it's in radical opposition.
We're (the Left) quite willing to acknowledge their political skills, their
technical skills, their administrative skills, their propaganda skills.  Why
does it then claw in our throats (or rather my throat, since I can only guess
as to your throats) to acknowledge that those with whom I (we) deeply disagree
can not only be rational, but original and humorous as well?  I'll be the first
to admit that humor among conservatives only makes me hate them all the more,
because humor makes me like people and I don't want to like them.  I deeply
resent conservative humor.  It's seditious.  Humor for them is just a plot, a
trick, an evil ploy to make me like them.  Don't fall for it,
Marxist-Liberal-Leftists, whatever you do, refuse to laugh.  Go America.  Go
serious!

Mike Geary
not a smile within a mile
in Memphis