[lit-ideas] Re: I don't know.

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 07:29:07 -0400

A woman who gives birth to a child with fetal alcohol syndrome has
permanently destroyed that person's life before it began.  If that's not a
violation of civil rights, I don't know what is.  Likewise cocaine, meth,
heroin.   It's curious that we take driver's licenses away from people for
being DUI, presumably so they don't hurt anyone, yet we think it's their
right to take drugs while pregnant and destroy someone's life that way.  I
don't understand the logic behind that reasoning.  Driving while
intoxicated is against the law.  Gestating or being in charge of children
while intoxicated is acceptable.  I would turn it around and say, you have
a right to do your drugs, but you lose all present or future driving and
parenting rights as a consequence.  .

Andy Amago