[lit-ideas] Re: I don't know.

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:33:56 -0400

At 02:18 AM 9/16/2005, you wrote:

<mailto:Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx>Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx wrote:
. . . .I was would have really preferred NO over LV. I'm not really looking forward to the trip, now. Well, the conference will be interesting and I do get a lot out of it that is good information and very practical. Otherwise, I'd probably skip it.

I suppose when I want 'real' fake, I would prefer to go to la-la-land in a book. NO was not fake--it might have been 'sinful', but it was not fake.
Does anybody else think that New Orleans will NEVER be "rebuilt" precisely because any re-building done by governmental agencies will try to make it so much "better" that it won't be anything real anymore? I think that the French Quarter may come back but in a form that looks more like an Epcot exhibit than a real town. Without all the real neighborhoods feeding into the French Quarter, New Orleans isn't real; it's even more fake than Las Vegas.

I was under the impression that apart from a bit of wind damage, the French Quarter is pretty much all right. Of course that might just be my ignorance talking.

[insert pithy quote here]
Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Leamington, ON. Canada