[lit-ideas] Re: I Take Full Responsibility For Not Being the One to Blame [was: WOdunnit]

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 18:32:44 -0500

Not that Geary should get off easy, but aren't there only fifteen valid syllogism forms?

Ursula....minding someone else's business as usual...

kshevs@xxxxxx wrote:
W-e-e-e-lllll, OK ...... I guess I can accept that. ...... Even though Mike
failed to beg forgiveness, promise never to do it again, and offer to make a
contributuion in my name to my favorite charity.

On the weariness of being intimidated by intelligence, talent and learning:

We don't allow such fatigues in this man's army, soldier!! Drop and give me 20
.......... valid syllogism forms!!
A-A-A is one. 19 more.

Sgt. Okshevsky
Special Philosophy Unit
Canadian SEALS

Quoting Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

WO:
As for Mike G, he persists in illicit exaggeration and gross
over-generalization. Neither is a philosophical virtue. I have never written -
never mind "often written" - that which Mike attributes to me. Our List
archives will attest to that.

Nor do I wish to be thought of as one who expresses such judgements about others
in such a manner. It's a simple matter of self-respect. Mike has at times
expressed forlorn views on philosophical matters, and at times I called him on
them. Mike should pay greater heed in the future to the accuracy of his
interpretations and formulations of others' views and opinions.
I'm pretty sure that Walter is playing here, but I'm not positive, and just in case Walter is registering his displeasure and disapproval over remarks I've made, I want to assure him that I have only been playing. If I stepped

over a line of propriety within Walter's world, I want him to know that it was not an intentional insult and certainly not out of any disrespect for him or his profession. I was playing on Eric's triple entendre of "F'ed" (or so I took it to be: (1) these are FALSE statements, (2) you FAIL academically, and (3) FUCK you.) I found Eric's post very amusing. When I

wrote: "But he's a philosopher, what the fuck does he know?" I meant -- facetiously -- what does any highly educated person know about life or the world -- which is not a position I subscribe to, btw, but a fairly common one here in the South -- "educated idiots" is a term long familiar to me -- OK, maybe you have to live here to appreciate it. In any event, in case I was misunderstood, or understood but found unacceptable, I offer my mea culpa. But I won't ever apologize for my crudities. I strongly believe in crudity. In fact, I promote it. But that's for another post.

Also for another post -- I fully share Eric's weariness with being intimidated over and over again by the intelligence, talent and learning on this list. Were Eric not one of the offenders, I think we might be able to find common cause and commisserate together. But he is one of them, so fuck

him.  So fuck you all.

Mike Geary
"Barack Obama -- Our Dalai Lama"
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
Waiting for Walter to write "F." you, and deserving it, <<
In fact, Walter has often written that as a philosopher I f'ed.  But he's
philosopher, what the fuck does he know?

Mike Geary
Memphis

Eric Y will be waiting quite some time for that form of crudeness from me.
My
parents consistently prized good manners at and away from the dinnertable.

As for Mike G, he persists in illicit exaggeration and gross
over-generalization. Neither is a philosophical virtue. I have never written -
never mind "often written" - that which Mike attributes to me. Our List
archives will attest to that.

Nor do I wish to be thought of as one who expresses such judgements about others
in such a manner. It's a simple matter of self-respect. Mike has at times
expressed forlorn views on philosophical matters, and at times I called him on
them. Mike should pay greater heed in the future to the accuracy of his
interpretations and formulations of others' views and opinions. And he clearly
needs reminding that my mother continues to monitor my e-mailings.

Must run, supper's ready.(Ugh, liver 'n onions!)

Walter O
St. John's

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Yost" <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>