[lit-ideas] Hypothesis Hypostasis

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 14:34:58 -0400 (EDT)

"One might say, broadly speaking, whereas
the Diagnostic Realist relies on hypothesis,
the Constructivist relies on
hypostasis." -- Grice

----

For a Diagnostic Realist (as Grice isn't) the actual nature of reality is
UNAVAILABLE for inspection. The job of the philosopher (or metaphysician)
is,  like a scientist, to make plausible hypothesis about it.

Grice's own metaphysical approach, however, is one of Constructivism. He
builds up and account from primitives, rather than forms theories which are
consistent with scientific explanations.

In a message dated 6/9/2013 6:35:05 A.M. UTC-02,  donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
Popper's theory of knowledge constitutes an  empiricist alternative to this
kind of 'traditional empiricism': it is not  merely an alternative but, in
the view of many of have come to understand it, a  vast improvement and
advance on traditional empiricism. It has in less than 100  years utterly
changed the intellectual landscape in which we understand  'science' and not
only
the logic of science but its relation to metaphysics.

Mmm.

Interesting.

I wonder if we don't mean 'science' and its 'relation' to, or rather
'contrast' with, metaphysics.

Grice plays with two words here:

he wants to say that the scientist uses hypotheses. (cfr. however Newton,
"Hypotheses non fingo"). Whereas the metaphysician indulges in hypostases.

Grice is referring to "the universe".

"It is a widely (if not universally) held view,
that at least one part  of the business of
metaphysics is to determine an ontology; or,
if you  prefer, to settle on an answer to the
questoion what, in general or  particular terms,
the 'universe' ... contains."

----

"Thus far,

a. people
b. tables
c. chairs
d. atoms
e. electrons and
f.  quarks

have escaped exclusion [to that ontological question]."

-----

Grice proposes a representation of a "Scentific realist", for whom,

"metaphysical hypotheses wll be judicious
to the extent to which, if  true, they would
provide backing or justification for
the content and  methodology of scientific
theory."

Having delivered the motto of the constructivist (he identifies with):
'hypostasise rather than hypothesise', Grice continues with the implicatures of
 the scientific realist:

"The diagnostic realist wishes to regard the
optimal metaphysical  posture as being one
which accepts the general accoutn of Reality
which  maximally justifies and supports
the deliverances of science."

----

"But WHAT science?"

"WHAT science? Palmistry? Phlogiston Theory?"

--- recall the previous reference to 'atom', 'electron', and 'quark'.

----

"It seems that we need at least a restriction to
REPUTABLE deliverances  of REPUTABLE sciences"

----

One problem:

"And how are these [reputable deliverances now of reputable sciences]
to  be selected EXCEPT ON THE BASIS of likelihood
of truth, and how is THAT to be  optimised in advance
of ANY CLUE about the nature of Reality?"

----- Here it may be that the clash between

b. and c. 'table' and 'chair' -- and d (atom), e (electron) and f  (quark).

Grice continues:

"It seems that there is an initial need
for SOME GROUNDS of  acceptability of
the findings of science which are
INDEPENDENT of those  which, it is hoped, will
be provided by a correct and adequate
account of  Reality."

McEvoy:

"Popper's theory of knowledge constitutes an empiricist alternative to
this kind of 'traditional empiricism': it is not merely an alternative but, in
the view of many of have come to understand it, a vast improvement and
advance  on traditional empiricism. It has in less than 100 years utterly
changed the  intellectual landscape in which we understand 'science' and not
only
the logic  of science but its relation to metaphysics."

As did _Grice_'s theory then! (even if perhaps to different audiences!?)

Cheers,

Speranza