[lit-ideas] Hutus hate Tutsis and both are angry with Hercules

  • From: Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 00:50:12 -0500

Judy writes that my "summarising the paper's message as
'Abandon Israel or die... or just plain die' is just bizarre."

It was meant to be crude, but bizarre will do fine. However, the paper supports my contention that "hutus and tutsis" is not news. On page 26, we have:

"... the extreme anti-American predispositions that are endemic to individuals living in Muslim countries are likely to channel any opinion response, with these pre-existing views of the U.S. serving as perceptual screens, enabling individuals to select considerations
from TV news that only confirm existing anti-American attitudes."

or as the article Omar cited has it:

"The public of the Arab world is not looking at the important issues through the Sunni-Shiite divide," Telhami said. "They see them rather through the lens of Israeli-Palestinian issues and anger with U.S. policy [in the region]. Most Sunni Arabs take the side of the Shiites on the important issues."

or as I initially universalized it:

a whopping 73% had no comment on any issues that would interfere with their savage prejudices.

A chorus of Brekekekex ko-ax ko-ax follows. Aeschylus always wins.