[lit-ideas] Re: Hurricane Contrition

  • From: Harold Hungerford <hh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:51:45 -0700

Bush's "apology" wasn't much of one. Here's what he said,

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government, and to the extent that the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," Bush said at a White House news conference.

I'm afraid I see a lot of hedging and blaming in this. "all levels of government . . . "? "To the extent that . . ."? And I don't see anything in the way of sympathy or empathy.

Harold Hungerford
Santa Rosa, California