[lit-ideas] Re: Hume's Missing Shade of Blue

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 19:37:15 EDT

R. Paul runs a contest -- prize: a T-shirt. The winner (on  divining it's
Leibniz), Karl Trogge, asks

>what colour is  it?

R. Paul replies:

>Hume's missing shade of blue.

We  haven't yet heard of Trogge's reaction to this. Did he like it. Does he
have  matching pants? Anyway, since *I* would find the no-choice option
(and the shade  being missing) all slightly offensive -- but then I thought it
was Wittengstein,  not Leibniz, and so did not win -- I welcome R. Paul's
commentaries.

>Karl [Trogge] could [and can. JLS] *see* the [missing]  shade of blue
>_perfectly_ well;

So why did he ask?

>in  fact [Herr Trogge], who notices that
>this shade is 'missing' and forms  the *idea* of it in his imagination
when
>viewing a panel of 'all the  different shades of that colour, except that
>single one, [is] placed  before him, descending gradually from the
>deepest to the lightest...'  and '[perceives] a blank, where that shade
>is wanting...,' could have  seen that shade of blue itself, earlier.

Isn't this the opinion of the  'few'? I for one would think the few are
mistaken.

>[This] works —  *if* it _does_ — because of the contingent fact that
>[K. Trogge] has  never *seen* the shade in question _before_.

But surely there's no way  to prove that the experiment works. I would need
to wait for K. Trogge's  description of the missing shade (of blue). And in
any case, why would I trust  that that shade is the same as R. Paul _says_
the T-shirt is?

>So, if  the color of this shade is no different from other shades of
>blue, in  that it could be directly perceived through the senses, Mr.
>[Trogge]  need not use his imagination to see it—only his eyes.

I _see_.

I  hope Trogge has read the Essay and the Treatise, to give a grounded
opinion.

In _my_ opinion, Hume's distinction between impression and idea  (less
vivid than impression) is ill-conceived and no wonder Locke never needed  it.

I see Hume displays (or unweaves) the 'blue' rainbow into 'lightest'  to
'deepest'. With 'medium blue' in the middle.

So I await with anxiety  whether Herr Trogge will find a pair of matching
pants.

In some of the quotes from the wiki entry, the missing shade of blue _is_
compared to 'substance' and 'cause' which _are_ for Hume, 'metaphysically
invisible' (and untouchable, unheard, unsmelled, etc), to use R. Paul's
phrase.

And it's D. Hume's _scenario_ that rebuts his whole system, giving way to
Kant, etc.

----

Later,

J. L. S.