[lit-ideas] Humanism as a Social Construction

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:38:33 EST

-- Now, I would also think, inspired by comments by Wager, that it may be
possible to see Humanism as a 'social construction', i.e. as a rather
artificial
 philosophy that started in the Renaissance.

In that sense, 'Analytic Philosophy' would _not_ be humanist. Why, I've
studied analytic philosophy for some time (I have hardly studied anything else)

and we _never_ did study the concept 'man'. [Although I did have a course
called  "Philosophical Anthropology" where the tutor, a German, was into
anti-humanism,  "Die Mensch" in the anthropobiological sense that he saw
humanity as a
_disease_.

On the other hand, in later writings, H. P. Grice, the epitome of analytic
philosophy, became a sort of humanist, when he would say that while the concept
 'man' is extensional, the concept 'human' is INTENSIONAL. There is a
transcendental gap between one class and the other, made by axiological means.
That
while it would not be immoral to kill _men_, it would be immoral to kill
_humans_.

Cheers,

JL
   Buenos Aires, Argentina
      author of "Self-Made Man: The Historical  Origins of Humanism"