[lit-ideas] Re: Howdy stranger!

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 13:54:00 -0400

Omar: Wow. I think that I read The Stranger when I was
seventeen.

Eric: Ditto. I read it in high school. Read _Nausea_ first, and was (at the time) disappointed that Camus wasn't as dark as old Jean-Paul.

Omar: Still, for a US President to actually read a book, that is certainly newsworthy.

Eric: Many of the more educated or literary US Presidents have been dupes of their more cunning counterparts. Wilson, for example, gave away the store to Lloyd George and Clemenceau, setting the stage for WW2. Theodore Roosevelt probably best combined literary-intellectual interests with broader experience. (Today, Teddy Roosevelt would probably be a Democrat.)