[lit-ideas] How you gonna keep'em down on the farm after they've seen the farm

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 17:54:35 -0500

Oddly, the NYT revew for "Interstellar" quotes straight from Dylan Thomas*.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/movies/interstellar-christopher-nolans-sea
rch-for-a-new-planet.html?_r=0

but  then it would, since the poem is cited complete in the film. The
review also  quotes from

"Dick Cavett, a son of Nebraska, used to ask (quoting Abe  Burrows), “How
you gonna keep ’em down on the farm, after they’ve seen the  farm?”"

If you're interested in the 'scientific' side to "Interstellar",  Wikipedia
helps:

"any object of mass M around which a hoop of  circumference 4piGM:c2 can be
spun must be a black hole."

The reviewer writes:

"Trying to jot down notes by the light of the Imax screen, where lustrous
images (shot by Hoyte van Hoytema and projected from real 70-millimeter
film)  flickered, I lost count of how many times the phrase “I’m sorry” was
uttered —  by parents to children, children to parents, sisters to brothers,
scientists to  astronauts and astronauts to one another."

I call those 'astronautical implicatures'. My favourite:

ROBOT: "That's not possible!"
Matthew McConaughey: "I *know*. [But] it's NECESSARY!" (Loved him for
that!)

-- and which is hard to cancel!

Cheers,

Speranza

*

do not go gentle into that  good night
old age should burn and rave at close of day
rage, rage against  the dying of the light
tho' wise men at their end know dark is  right
because their words had forked no lightning they
do not go gentle  into that good night
good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
their  frail deeds might have danced in a green bay
rage, rage against the dying of  the light
wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight
& learn, too  late, they grieved it on its way
do not go gentle into that good  night
grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
blind eyes could  blaze like meteors and be gay,
rage, rage against the dying of the  light.
& you, my father, there on the sad height,
curse, bless, me now  with your fierce tears, I pray.