[lit-ideas] How to Become a Gaucho in an Easy Lesson

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:57:00 EST

-- and fail in the attempt.

Helm:

"Well, I enjoyed the story and laughed out loud at several points.   Maybe I
wouldn’t enjoy a story which made equal fun of the American  cowboy."

The thing is that one cannot _really_ decide to _become_ a gaucho like  that.
It's an ethnic thing, and Señor Pereda is _bound_ to be at most a  'rancher'
(estanciero), but not a 'gaucho'.

It is true that the ranch-owners would like to see themselves as 'gauchos'
but that was I would think in a figurative way.

The real gauchos I meet are a closed circle and do not really accept
outsiders.

I'm less sure if this work with 'cowboys', too.

The aimlessness of it all was fun. Susan Wilkinson wrote a sort of
historical romance on that which she titled, "Sebastian's Pride" -- with
Sebastian
Hamilton as this English peer (or something) who settles in the  pampas, and
quoting Martin Fierro, "his pride was his freedom", becomes  'native'.

I don't like the 'going native' trope, though, when the native is never
allowed to 'go civilised' unless in the ridiculous way Jemmy Button does that
in
his "Life and Times".

I wonder what's Spanish for unsufferable. I don't use 'insufrible' too  much,
as I don't really know what it can mean.

Cheers,

JL