[lit-ideas] How not to go to the library

  • From: Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:05:22 -0400

I'd like to take a moment to impart how one does not make it to the library
successfully.

I was going out for drinks and I needed bus fare.  Actually, I needed money
first, which would then allow me to purchase bus tickets.  It was 530pm.  I
figured that if I got on the 6pm bus I'd make it downtown for 7pm, spend an
hour at the library, and then meet Carrie at 8pm.

I went to the convenience store at the corner, to get money from the ATM, to
buy the bus tickets, but the ATM told me that my transaction "could not be
completed."  Is there something wrong with the ATM machie?  I asked.  You're
the only one who's complained, the lecherous and perverted (but that's another
story entirely) store clerk retorted.  I tried again.  No luck.  Sigh.  Fine.

I walked back to the house, got in the car, and made the ten minute drive to
the nearest TD Bank.  Annoying, yes, but the bank machines at the bank would
give me money.  I wouldn't make the 6pm bus, but I could still catch the 630
and get still half an hour in at the library.  Would you believe that all the
machines displayed a screen that read "This machine is temporarily out of
order.  Please try again later."  Unbelievable.

I walked into the convenience store next to the bank.  Do you do cash back? I
asked.  No.  This was getting ridiculous.  I'd never been forced to make such
an excursion for bus tickets in my life.  The only other store in the plaza was
the liquor store.  God, don't make me go in there, I moaned to myself.  Don't
make me do it.  I walked into the liquor store.  Do you do cash back? I asked.
You have to buy something, the clerk replied.

TWIST MY ARM!

Fine.  I'd buy something.  I bought a six of Becks.  Who even knew if the god
damn cash back would work, but I figured what the hell why not give it a shot?
If it didn't work I wouldn't be able to make it downtown for drinks, but at
least I'd have a six of Becks.  I'd sit home.  Watch a movie. The world wasn't
so bad.

Well, the cash back worked.  I went back to the convenience store to buy the
bus tickets.  I dashed back to the car, speeding home to catch the 630.  And
then, all of a sudden, there went the bus driving alongside me in the opposite
direction.  So I missed the 630.  Fine.  I'd make the 7, get down to the city
by 8, and I wouldn't have time to go to the library at all.  I shoved a couple
of beers in my bag, one for me and one for Carrie, and waited twenty minutes
for that god damn 7pm bus.

I made it down to the park by 8.  Cracked open a beer, sat on a picnic bench
and wrote down this tale of a very simple way not to make it to the library.
It's really quite easy.  You should try it.  Then again, who really wants to
read a book called Dinner Talk:  Cultural Patterns of Conversation (something
like that) anyway?

Erin
Toronto

--