[lit-ideas] How many guns does it take to kill a kid?

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 01:45:01 +0100

"And we probably already have 300,000,000 guns in the U.S., but no one knows for sure."

"In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 children in the USA."

300 million guns and only 5,285 kids killed a year. I'd say that's a really healthy ratio of guns to dead kids, it must take around 57,000 guns to kill each one (I think, my calculator didn't have enough noughts for 300 million). Either Americans are bad shots or else you're all very discerning. Even better would be the ratio of guns to dead intruders - the real kind, not the trick or treaters - what would that be I wonder...

I have to say, everybody, I really think Lawrence has been right after all. But of course, I'm an imbecile, so what would I know.

Simon
Utterly bemused