[lit-ideas] Re: How did Benjamin die?

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 06:57:16 +0000 (GMT)

>Many thanks, archives in Washington D.C as well as others show that he was a
>Soviet spy.>

Don't archives in Washington D.C. show that, at some time or other, most people
were Soviet spies?

Donal
Asking on behalf of Pete Seeger
London

On Monday, 17 March 2014, 23:10, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Many thanks, archives in Washington D.C as well as others show that he was a
Soviet spy. It's hardly a philosophical issue.

O.K.

On Monday, March 17, 2014 11:28 PM, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

*In a recent book I'm now sorry I mentioned it was said that Benjamin committed
suicide,

Omar responded

'It wasn't a suicide, but then he was a Soviet spy. This looks like some
elementary school textbook.'

*I asked Omar how this was known, that Benjamin was a 'Soviet spy,' and then
posted links to three accounts of Benjamin's death just in case anyone would be
interested in the controversy surrounding it.

Omar responded

'I am saying it because he was. Not sure why you would ask for additional
reasons for saying it.'

*This is, I grant, a powerful argument.

Robert Paul