[lit-ideas] Re: How The Laws of Physics Lie

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 01:14:21 -0400 (EDT)

speranza is great, the greatest, now we know that gravity laws should be written i non banal ways....

On Wed, 19 May 2010, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

--- They don't, McEvoy argues.

In a message dated 5/19/2010 3:02:11 P.M., donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

If you  don't believe gravity is "an ontological category" [philosophers'
code for  "something that exists"] try flying without mechanical aid [as Bill
Hicks  pointed out it is safest to try this not from  jumping from a great
height but from the ground].

----

Surely it is conventional to have d2 here:

           m1 X m2
g =      -------------
              d2

--- This is Newton's convention. He could have written 'd3' (the cube of
the distance that separates them') and so on. The way he defined 'gravity' is
SO  conventional that it may hurt.

Bill Hicks is possbibly right about 'grave' (things are grave), but
'gravity' itself, being a feminine abstract noun, does not exist. Only grave
things exist, notably apples -- in Lincolnshire (*)

J. L. Speranza
--- for Bordighera

(* Newton invented the law of gravity when an apple fell as he was napping
outside a church in Lincolnshire. He refused to report to the Royal Society
on  the grounds that it was not Anglican enough --  gravity.)

/begin/read__>sig.file: postal address
palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy
3rd floor of Memorial Tower Building
Howard College Campus
Durban 4041
South Africa
Tel off: [+27] 031 2601591 (sec: Mrs. Yolanda Hordyk) [+27] 031-2602292
Fax [+27] 031-2603031
mobile 07 62 36 23 91            calling from overseas +[27] 76 2362391
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxx
EMAIL: palma@xxxxxxxxxx

MY OFFICE IS A290@Mtb

*only when in Europe*: inst. J. Nicod
29 rue d'Ulm
f-75005 paris france
________
This e-mail message (and attachments) is confidential, and/or privileged and is
intended for the
use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
you must not copy,
distribute, take any action in reliance on it or disclose it to anyone. Any
confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
This entity is not responsible for any information not related to the business
of this entity. If you
received this e-mail in error please destroy the original and notify the sender.

  Ratio, enim, nisi judex universalis esse deberet, frustra singulis datur.

  [ _Quaestiones Naturales_, Adelard of Bath ]

Signora granda, testa che massa
massa ne passa, che quasi schissa,
Dia dei sostegni de cese e palassi
Dia de le taje che su ne tien fissi
Dia de le onde che le ne fa grassi,
ne ingrassa de ogni grassia, Dia Venessia -

aàh Venessia aàh Venàssia aàh Venùsia

Andrea Zanzotto, Filò, (Sezione: Recitativo Veneziano)